Q&A Disability Accommodation

By December 9, 2020Enable Magazine, News

Get the facts on NDIS disability accommodation 

This week we ask our Support Coordination team to answer some of the most frequently asked questions they get about NDIS disability accommodation.  

What types of disability accommodation are available? 
There are several types of disability accommodation available, which are dependent on the support needs of the individual. 

Supported Independent Living (SIL) This type of accommodation support provides 24/7 care. Each individual support is dependent on the requirements of the individual. For example, one individual may have one support worker, also known as 1:1 support. Another individual may have two support workers, or 1:2. The level of support for the individual would be reflected in the Roster of Care, which is a document that is developed by the SIL provider and the family, based on the support requirements. This is a collaborative process to ensure that the individual is well supported.    

Specialised Disability Accommodation (SDA) Buildings that are SDA registered provide a higher level of support as the buildings are purposebuilt for specific disabilities. An SDA home may have additional features in the home such as automated devices, handrails, ceiling hoists and ramps. It is possible for disability accommodations to be both SIL and SDA registered. SIL refers to the daily supports provided to the individual, while SDA refers to the bricks and mortar of the home.  

Individual Living Options (ILO) This model of support focuses on individual living arrangements. This may include options such as Living Alone, Co-Residency, Host Arrangements and Living Together. These options are an alternative to group home services. ILOs are more focused on the important role informal supports can play in a person’s life, and in strengthening those relationships.  

What type of NDIS funding is required to access disability accommodation? 
Depending on the type of disability accommodation you are applying for, specific NDIS funding is required. These include SIL, SDA and ILO funding. Disability accommodation providers will require the specific funding to be available prior to moving into the accommodation.   

How do I apply for NDIS disability accommodation funding? 
When attending an NDIS plan review meeting, it is important to advise the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) of the request for disability accommodation funding. If you have a Support Coordinator, they will assist you with applying for this funding. Supporting documents would need to be submitted to the NDIA to justify the need for the request for funding. Upon receipt of the application, the NDIA will assess and provide the funding should the request be reasonable and necessary to the individual.  

What is the process for sourcing disability accommodation? 
The general process for sourcing and securing disability accommodation may change depending on individual circumstances. It may include these steps:  

  • Identify the need for disability accommodation.  
  • Research disability accommodation options.  
  • Identify the best disability accommodation funding model (SIL, SDA or ILO).  
  • Identify a disability accommodation property.  
  • Submit an application for disability accommodation funding to NDIA.  
  • Receive approval of NDIA funding.  
  • Disability accommodation provider to assist with transition into new home. 

Where is disability accommodation located? 
There are many different types of disability accommodation located across Sydney. Depending on your needs and preferences, it is likely that disability accommodation will be available near you. If you have a Support Coordinator, they will assist you with finding the best property.    

Can I choose which disability accommodation I would like to live in? 
Yes. Choice and control are available for all NDIS participants. An application for disability accommodation will not proceed without the consent of the individual or family.  

What supports are provided in disability accommodation? 
The supports provided in disability accommodation are dependent on the individual support requirements. High intensity supports will be provided to individuals with high support needs, whereas for individuals who are independent in daily activities, less supports will be provided. In general, supports may be provided in personal care, meal preparation, transportation and community participation 

If I move into disability accommodation, can I bring with me my own support staff with me? 
This would be dependent on the organisational policy of the disability accommodation provider. It may be possible to arrange for a transfer of staff, however this will need to be discussed directly with your disability accommodation provider.  

When moving into a new disability accommodation what support information do I need to provide? 
It would be beneficial to provide the documents listed below to assist new support staff in getting familiar with your individual requirements. These documents will also assist with the NDIA application for disability accommodation funding. The required documents may differ depending on individual circumstances, but may include:   

  • Behaviour Support Plan 
  • Functional Occupational Therapy Assessment Plan 
  • Mealtime Management Plan 
  • Epilepsy Plan 
  • Communication Plan 
  • Exercise Plan 
  • Dietitian Plan 

What disability accommodation is available from Achieve Australia? 
Currently, Achieve Australia has vacancies within SIL and SDA accommodation. For a full list of vacancies, please visit our website achieveaustralia.org.au 

For more information, contact our friendly My Pathways team via email to MyPathway@achieveaustralia.org.au or call 1300 22 44 38. 

Copyright © 2018 Achieve Australia