The shop sign flips to ‘open’ at The Sewing Basket in Newington and a steady stream of customers flow in. Liza Hanna has spent the morning getting ready for a busy day ahead, organising the fabrics on display and sorting through the donations.
If you ask Liza what she likes most about working at The Sewing Basket, she will tell you without hesitation it’s the people who come from far and wide to shop. “I like helping the customers and getting to know them,” says Liza. “Customers come from everywhere, even as far as the country, and last week someone came from New Zealand!”
Previously, Liza worked in a florist and she says the experience helped to develop her love of colours, textures and patterns. Now Liza enjoys working with the diverse range of donated fabrics, ribbons, buttons and patterns in store at The Sewing Basket. She cuts and measures the fabrics and sorts and prices donations that come in from the community every day.
“I enjoy working with the vintage fabrics the most because I can help customers mix and match them with other fabrics that we have in the shop,” explains Liza.
Achieve Australia’s My Career Operations Manager, Leanne Larche, says that Liza is a delight to work with and is always a friendly face in the shop. “Liza is great at what she does and really loves helping the customers, measuring up and pricing the fabrics,” says Leanne.
“Since working at The Sewing Basket, Liza has come a really long way in how she interacts with the customers and in getting to know all the different items in the shop.”
As an avid fabric enthusiast, Liza has offered up her top tips for the summer and what to look out for when shopping at The Sewing Basket this season.
Tips for summer fabrics and styles
- Floral and tropical prints: Stylish botanical and floral prints in bold or muted colours. Take your pick from a wide range for timeless inspiration.
- Light fabrics: Linen, cotton, chambray, rayon and blended fabrics are perfect for warmer weather. Natural fibres allow for maximum breathability.
- Vintage fabrics: Popular among fashion and sewing enthusiasts, iconic vintage fabrics from by-gone eras never go out of style. High waisted pants and playsuits make a bold statement.
- Vivid colours: Embrace colour this season with cerulean blues, neo-mint, sage green, turmeric yellow and earthy tones.
- Comfort fashion: Look for simple, elegant styles and patterns that are comfortable enough to wear all day long.
Liza lives in Ermington with her family and works at The Sewing Basket in Newington on Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week. If you are in store and need any help with your current projects, just ask Liza who will guide you in the right direction. You might even discover something new for your collection.